Play Your Part:
Justice 180 doesn’t exist solely to reach out to the girls on the streets in Los Angeles or to reach the girls we meet in bars and brothels in our international outreaches. In fact, one of our major focuses is raising up a generation who will take a stand against the injustice of human trafficking. Each of us on this team has committed to fighting for the justice for each one of the girls we meet and desire for others to do the same, but we understand that not everyone has been called to drop everything and move to Los Angeles to join our team. We are, however, called to take a stand for justice – no matter where we are called to be. So, how are we supposed to do that if we can’t all physically come together? Here are some simple ways to play your part!
- Keep yourself informed.This is HUGE! I see news articles coming out each week talking about rescues, new research being done, interviews of survivors, and court cases all linked to human trafficking. Not only do reading these articles get me excited to see the victories happening all over the world, but they are valuable resources in raising awareness. Read up on the laws in your state regarding human trafficking, learn the signs, and find out what’s being done to combat the injustice in your area. The more informed you are, the more equipped you are to spread awareness and do something about it!
- Raise awareness by sharing what you’ve learned.We believe wholeheartedly that one of the biggest things you can do to be a part of what we are doing is to become an advocate. While this may be one of the biggest injustices the world is facing today, there are still people who don’t understand what it looks like! Now that you are aware of what contributes to the problem and what it looks like, don’t be afraid to share! The more people who know, the more people we have willing to play their part. You can do this easily by sharing posts you see on social media!
- Create a movement in your workplace, church, or community.Now that you’re aware of what’s going on, what it looks like, and the best ways to love those stuck in the industry you can bring others alongside your passion to do something about it. You don’t need to have a degree in social justice, law, or psychology to make a difference in the lives of those trapped in slavery. As a group of passionate people, you can easily mobilize change in your area. Talk to law enforcement, look for warning signs in your area, reach out to girls you know who’s circumstances make them most at risk, raise awareness, etc. There is no limit to what you can do as a team!
- Organize a fundraiser for organizations already doing something about it.Most organizations fighting against human trafficking are nonprofits, meaning they operate off of the generosity of passionate people like you. Now that you’ve gathered a group of people to join you, begin organizing a fundraiser for an organization already doing work in your area. You can host a silent auction, organize a 5k/10k/triathlon/relay race, or even do something as simple as a good, old-fashioned bake sale. Trust us when we say every little bit counts!
- Volunteer your time to work with these organizations.Don’t think you’d be good at organizing a fundraiser as a group? Why not take some time to volunteer with one of those organizations? Volunteers bless organizations like this tremendously. There is A LOT that goes into running a nonprofit and we often feel there’s just not enough time in the day to get done everything we want to get done. The more hands we have helping, the more efficient we can be and the more we can accomplish together! Remember, everything you do to help out makes a huge difference.
- Pray.Prayer is foundational to our ministry. We know we could not do what we do without the guidance of the Lord and the prayers we receive from people like you who support us. We believe every prayer makes a difference in this injustice. God’s heart is for justice, to see every girl walk in the identity He speaks over them. Praying His will over their lives is a powerful prayer we pray often and invite you to pray as well. Pray for the girls’ lives, economic situations, emotional stability, safety while they are out at night, and whatever else the Lord leads you to pray.
With this injustice, it’s going to take a lot of passionate people coming together with God’s heart to get it to end. You can be a part of the solution. Play your part. Let’s see human trafficking end in our lifetime!
Leave a reply